Adopted April 1, 2004
MLA-NYNJ is the electronic discussion list of the NY/NJ Chapter of the Medical Library Association. As such, it focuses on announcements and concerns specific to members of the chapter.
1. MLA-NYNJ IS NOT FOR ADVERTISEMENTS:
MLA-NYNJ does not accept advertisements, product announcements or self-promotional posts from either individuals or publishers or producers of print products, software, web pages, etc.
Posts to MLA-NYNJ about these items, in response to specific questions and/or discussions initiated by MLA-NYNJ subscribers about products, web sites and services are appropriate, in order to provide an avenue to receive recommendations, suggestions and help from colleagues on this list.
2. MLA-NYNJ IS NOT FOR QUESTIONS FROM THE GENERAL PUBLIC:
MLA-NYNJ is not a place for the general public, healthcare professionals or students to ask reference questions, request assistance with library research or medical problems, or request materials. These questions should be directed to a local medical library or one of the sci.med newsgroups.
3. MLA-NYNJ IS NOT FOR GENERAL CONFERENCE ANNOUNCEMENTS:
MLA-NYNJ should not be used for announcements of conferences outside the field (or likely interest) of medical librarians/information professionals. Do not send announcements for conferences in medicine or nursing. Announcements from like organizations, such as SLA or its chapters, are welcome.
4. ANNOUNCEMENTS OF MEDICAL LIBRARY JOBS AVAILABLE are WELCOME.
Job postings for medical personnel (other than librarians/information professionals) are not appropriate.
5. MLA-NYNJ IS NOT FOR ADVOCACY POSTINGS:
Postings aimed at collecting mass or organized support for political and/or social causes are not appropriate for MLA-NYNJ.
6. DO NOT POST VIRUS, WORM, or HOAX WARNINGS to MLA-NYNJ.
Do not forward general warnings, rumors or similar posts to MLA-NYNJ.
GUIDELINES FOR MESSAGES
1. Only subscribers to MLA-NYNJ can post messages. To post a message to all the current MLA-NYNJ subscribers, use the address:
2. Keep postings within the scope of the list. MLA-NYNJ should be used for messages of interest to Chapter members.
3. MLA-NYNJ DOES NOT ACCEPT posts which include ATTACHMENTS or vcf cards.
They will be returned to the sender, automatically.
4. Do not post using HTML, Rich Text, or other encoded formats to MLA-NYNJ. Send your message in (ASCII) plain text only.
5. Always use a DESCRIPTIVE SUBJECT LINE. The more descriptive you are, the more likely the right people will read your posting.
6. Always give your postings a FULL SIGNATURE. Include your NAME, E-MAIL ADDRESS, TITLE and INSTITUTIONAL AFFILIATION.
7. REPLIES: When replying, double check the original subject line. If the original subject line is misleading, RETYPE an APPROPRIATE SUBJECT LINE.
If you are initiating a new topic, do not use the reply feature. Type a NEW subject line, create a NEW message and send to:
8. REPLIES: SEND PERSONAL REPLIES TO THE INDIVIDUAL, not to the whole list. MLA-NYNJ is configured so that when you use your "Reply To" e-mail program feature, replies are sent to the individual, not the entire list.
9. All work product that appears on MLA-NYNJ is the property of the author. Messages appearing on MLA-NYNJ may be forwarded to other lists or individuals ONLY BY PERMISSION of the author of the post.
10. No "FLAMES": Do not post defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive or illegal material. Do not post any materials protected by copyright without the permission of the copyright owner.
11. MLA-NYNJ is not a moderated list; posts are not censored before they appear. This means that some errors or inappropriate posts will occasionally appear on the list and some people will make mistakes. Please do not publicly chastise people who make mistakes.
12. The NY/NJ Chapter of the Medical Library Association accepts no responsibility for the opinions and information posted by users.
13. The NY/NJ Chapter of the Medical Library Association reserves the right to terminate access to MLA-NYNJ and cancel the subscription of any user who does not abide by these guidelines.
MLA-NYNJ ARCHIVES / HELP
Contributions sent to MLA-NYNJ are automatically archived. You can search the MLA-NYNJ Archives via the web interface at:
HELP WITH YOUR MLA-NYNJ SUBSCRIPTION
MLA-NYNJ subscribers who have questions should contact the Coordinators:
Barbara S. Reich
Robert T. Mackes
Adapted from the MEDLIB-L guidelines.
To see the collection of prior postings to the list,
visit the mla-nynj
Subscribe to mla-nynj by filling out the following
You will be sent email requesting confirmation, to
prevent others from gratuitously subscribing you. This is a private list, which means that the
list of members is not available to non-members.