[mla-nynj] FW: Position available: Director, UNC Health Sciences Library

Ascher, Marie MARIE_ASCHER at NYMC.EDU
Wed Sep 10 15:12:39 UTC 2014

Passing on to my colleagues in UNYOC and NY-NJ Chapters.

Best wishes,

Marie

From: mla-lms [mailto:mla-lms-bounces at lms.mlanet.org] On Behalf Of Curtis, Jim
Sent: Wednesday, September 10, 2014 11:10 AM
To: mla-lms at lms.mlanet.org
Subject: [Mla-lms] Position available: Director, UNC Health Sciences Library

Colleagues:
Please feel free to pass this announcement along to other MLA Sections that you may belong to.  We want to cast a wide net and get the very best applicants.

Here is a wonderful opportunity for the right person!  Recruitment is now underway for the next great leader for the Health Sciences Library at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.  From the UNC Libraries' position announcement at http://library.unc.edu/jobs/director-of-the-health-sciences-library-and-aul-for-the-health-sciences-health-sciences-library/

"The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, the nation's oldest public university, is accepting applications for the position of Director of the Health Sciences Library and AUL for the Health Sciences.  The Health Sciences Library (HSL) (http://hsl.lib.unc.edu/) serves the instructional, clinical, and research information needs of the UNC Hospitals, Schools of Medicine, Dentistry, Nursing, Pharmacy, Public Health, the North Carolina AHEC Program, as well as the citizens of North Carolina. The HSL is a Resource Library in the National Network of Libraries of Medicine.  One of the premier health sciences libraries in the country, UNC's HSL is uniquely positioned on a major research university campus with all five health affairs schools, a top-ranked School of Information and Library Science, and a large hospital system.  The HSL has a collection of 450,000 volumes, with a strong and developing component of electronic journals and books.  Total expenditures are $8.4 million with close to 60 librarians and staff.  It regularly employs and trains students from the UNC School of Information and Library Science, and has hosted numerous National Library of Medicine Associates.  HSL occupies a recently renovated, technology-adapted building with 68,000 assignable square feet."

To apply go to: http://unc.peopleadmin.com/postings/49905

I would like to add several points to this announcement:

  1.  I do not intend to be a candidate for the position of permanent Director of the HSL.  I am making this known because It is in the best interest of all concerned that we encourage the strongest possible candidate pool.
  2.  It should be of interest to potential candidates that last July the University Library and the Health Sciences Library completed their first joint strategic plan.  That plan is available here: http://library.unc.edu/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/UNC-Library-Strategic-Plan.pdf  This plan was the product of a year-long process which was co-led  by our Director Emerita, Carol Jenkins.

This position will be "open until filled" but I expect the search committee to begin reviewing applications in October, so do not delay.  Don't miss out on this wonderful opportunity!
--Jim Curtis

James A. Curtis, M.S.L.S
Director Health Sciences Library (Interim)
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill CB #7585 Chapel Hill, NC 27599-7585
Voice: (919) 962-1665
Fax: (919) 966-1029
Email: Jim_Curtis at unc.edu<mailto:Jim_Curtis at unc.edu>
Web: www.hsl.unc.edu<http://www.hsl.unc.edu/>
"Connecting people everywhere with knowledge to improve health"