[mla-nynj] Job Posting: Web Services Librarian. The Commonwealth Medical College - Medical Library. Scranton, PA.
jmuellenbach at tcmedc.org
Fri Aug 9 14:15:29 UTC 2013
We are recruiting a Web Services Librarian, at The Commonwealth Medical College - Medical Library. Please let me know if you have any questions, and please feel welcome to distribute this posting to anyone who may be interested and who meets the qualifications. The position is also posted on the TCMC website, at: http://www.thecommonwealthmedical.com/jobs.
Here is the full job announcement:
Job Posting: WEB SERVICES LIBRARIAN. The Commonwealth Medical College - Medical Library. Scranton, PA.
The Web Services Librarian is primarily responsible for developing, maintaining and supporting the TCMC Medical Library website. In addition, the Web Services Librarian assists with the management of electronic resources. This position provides reference services, research assistance and library instruction. The Web Services Librarian also serves as a liaison to specific programs and academic courses. This position leads assessment and evaluation efforts, including the administering of library surveys and evaluating EZProxy data. Major responsibilities include ensuring that high quality library resources and services are readily available to library users on a variety of platforms; managing our electronic resources through Serials Solutions; maintaining appropriate policies, procedures and statistics; and contributing to planning and implementation of goals and objectives that relate to the library's, and TCMC's, mission.
1. Website: collaborates with library units and content providers to create websites that support organizational strategies and goals. Creates, or coordinates as a member of the medical library team, the online instructional components to support the library's information literacy and library instruction programs, such as tutorials, podcasts, blogs and wikis; designs, develops and manages the library website by performing webpage programming and providing technical maintenance; develops technical documentation related to the virtual medical library website to ensure quality control of projects and compliance with standards recommended by TCMC; provides leadership and recommendations for new technologies, such as tablets and handheld devices, and web-based applications, and assists with implementation of these new technologies.
2. Electronic Resources: assists with the management of our electronic resources, using the web applications available through Serials Solutions; troubleshoots technology problems for library clientele; assists in the selection, evaluation, and promotion of electronic resources; identifies, evaluates and contributes relevant content for the library's website, including high-quality documents and site links; sets up trials for new electronic resources; trains, or arranges training for, end-users and staff in the use of electronic resource applications; and assists with promoting open access publishing models.
3. Public Services: provides reference services, research assistance, library instruction, and performs general information services desk functions for library users, both onsite and on our regional campuses; this position will engage in both formal and informal communication methods to learn about and meet user needs; troubleshoots electronic resources access issues and provides other direct public services via e-mail, phone or in-person.
4. Information Literacy and Library Instruction: participates in the design, delivery and evaluation of information literacy and library training sessions; collaborates with course directors to provide library instruction to students within the curricula; works closely with the Office of Continuing Education to provide library instruction in support of faculty development; and creates subject guides on a variety of topics, as well as tutorials and other training materials.
5. Service: contributes to the Medical Library team and serves on TCMC internal and external committees by working cooperatively on library-wide initiatives. Participates in statewide, regional and national library organizations.
6. Other Duties: as assigned by the Director of the Library.
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE AND/OR TRAINING
* Master's degree in library and information science (MLS or MSLS) from an ALA accredited program.
* Excellent oral and written communication skills.
* Enthusiastic customer service orientation.
* Experience working in an academic medical library.
* Experience in developing and building websites and in providing technical maintenance.
* Commitment to a user-centered approach to web-based services, including web interfaces that meet the needs of library clientele.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
* Proficiency using HTML and web editors such as Dreamweaver and FrontPage.
* Proficiency using graphics editors, such as Photoshop and Visio.
* Knowledge of website and information architecture principles.
* An understanding of graphic design elements.
* Knowledge of current and emerging technologies in digital and web-based library services.
* Knowledge of web-based instructional design principles and technologies.
* Knowledge of standard Windows packages, including PowerPoint, Publisher, Excel and MS Access.
* Strong Internet searching skills.
* Ability to manage multiple projects concurrently, and to set and meet deadlines.
* Ability to adapt to new and changing situations, priorities and technologies.
* Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills.
* Detail oriented, with excellent problem-solving skills.
* Ability to work with diverse groups of individuals, including students, faculty and staff.
* Strong initiative and ability to function independently and as a contributing member of a team.
* Ability to multi-task and prioritize, ability to demonstrate innovation and flexibility.
Please submit your cover letter, resume and list of 3 professional references to: Human Resources, The Commonwealth Medical College, 525 Pine Street, Scranton, PA 18509 or electronically to hr at tcmedc.org
TCMC is an equal opportunity employer
Joanne M. Muellenbach, MLS, AHIP
Director of the Library
The Commonwealth Medical College
525 Pine Street
Scranton, PA 18509
E: jmuellenbach at tcmedc.org
More information about the mla-nynj