[mla-nynj] Volunteers needed for a research project

Nancy Glassman nancy.glassman at einstein.yu.edu
Thu Sep 6 12:35:58 UTC 2012

Posted on behalf of Katy Mahraj:

Despite health librarians' central role in their clients' success with information seeking and use, little is known about the information behaviors common to our profession.  Volunteer for a brief interview to help fill this critical knowledge gap!

I am a recent graduate from the University of Michigan School of Information, where I studied health librarianship and informatics.  While a student, I started a research project on the information behavior of health librarians.  I am seeking to continue that research in pursuit of journal publication.  To do so, I need additional interview volunteers.  Volunteers should be currently employed as health librarians or informationists, though exact job title can vary.

The project aims to understand trends in information behavior, professional identity, and job responsibilities of health information professionals, in particular differences and similarities between health librarians and informationists.  The research was started under supervision of faculty at the University of Michigan School of Information, who continue to advise me on the project.

Should you volunteer to participate, you will take part in an approximately 60-minute, confidential interview.  Interview questions explore your experiences with information seeking from your own perspective as a member of the health information profession.  Interviews will be remote via telephone or Skype.

If you are interested in participating or have questions about the study in general, please contact:

Katy Mahraj
Phone: 717-512-5288
Email: katy.mahraj at gmail.com

This study has received an exemption from the University of Michigan Health Sciences and Behavioral Sciences Institutional Review Board.

Thank you,
Katy Mahraj, MSI

Nancy R. Glassman, MLS, AHIP
D. Samuel Gottesman Library