[mla-nynj] Quad Keynote from Google: Big Data

Nicholson, Joseph Joseph.Nicholson at med.nyu.edu
Tue Oct 16 15:45:20 UTC 2012

See below for some highlights or follow along in the MAC Blog: http://macmla.wordpress.com/2012/10/16/quad-meeting-keynote-big-data/

Highlights:

  *   little data = can be done on your own workstation
  *   big data = beyond basic computing
  *   big data: so much data that you need special handling because of its size
  *   big data is always moving, as our increasing abilities for more storage, more speed is constantly improving
  *   Living with Big Data: Challenges and Opportunities<http://istc-bigdata.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/BigDataSeminarSeries_Google_DeanGhemawat_Sep-12_2012.pdf> report
     *   storage systems - redundancy
     *   fault tolerance
     *   compression
     *   debugging
     *   performance tuning
     *   latency reduction
  *   Example of big data projects:
     *   Google Translate<http://translate.google.com/> leveraging patterns of language use by reviewing websites with multiple language options (ex: Canadian government websites in English and French), instead of rule-based grammar systems
     *   Google Books<http://books.google.com/> and the Ngram Viewer to track changes in culture and expressions such as the United States is vs. the United States are<http://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?content=the+United+States+is%2Cthe+United+States+are&year_start=1800&year_end=2000&corpus=0&smoothing=3>
  *   Implications for librarians - we have the interpersonal relationships and technical database skills to help navigate and organize messy data
  *   Future big data possibilities for librarians:
     *   medical information collection
     *   hospital/laboratory/clinical informatics
     *   personalized medicine
     *   wellness informatics

Joey Nicholson, MLIS MPH CPH
Education and Curriculum Librarian