[mla-nynj] from new Chapter Chair

Racheline G. Habousha Racheline.Habousha at einstein.yu.edu
Thu Nov 1 16:36:22 UTC 2012

Dear Chapter Members,

I hope you made it through Hurricane Sandy safely and are recovering in the aftermath.

Below is Nancy Glassman's report to the Board and we both wanted to fill you in on some of the news from the Chapter Board and Business Meetings that took place at the Quad Meeting in Baltimore earlier this month.

*         NY-NJ Chapter of MLA has 195 members (22 new, 24 lapsed) The new directory should be available soon.

*         After hosting the successful "EBM and the Medical Librarian" workshop this spring, the CE Committee has a few new (web-based and in-person) learning opportunities in the works.  Details will be announced on the listserv and http://nynjmla.org.

*         The chapter's spring dinner at Coogan's in Washington Heights was a hit with members.  The idea was pitched to move the 2013 spring dinner across the river to Hoboken. (Can anyone recommend a good restaurant?)

*         After two years of large multi-chapter fall meetings, the 2013 meeting will be a one-day/one-chapter meeting to be held on Wednesday, October 9 at Albert Einstein College of Medicine in the Bronx.  Claire Joseph (cjoseph at snch.org) and Aurelia Minuti (aurelia.minuti at einstein.yu.edu) are co-chairing the meeting.  If you would like to take part in planning the meeting, they would be happy to hear from you!

*         The Chapter Research Grant was awarded to Cathy Boss.

*         Chapter Awards:

o   Outstanding Contribution by a New Member: Karen Hanson

o   Outstanding Contribution by a Member: Pat Gallagher

o   Lifetime Achievement: Lynn Kasner Morgan

*         Here are the new chapter officers:

o   Chair: Racheline Habousha

o   Treasurer: Marie Elias

o   Chair-elect: Mahnaz Tehrani

o   Treasurer-elect: Mary K Joyce

o   Secretary: Irena Meyman

o   2 Board Positions (2 years): Shelly Warwick, Yingting Zhang

o   3 Nominating Committee Positions: Joanne Jahr, Robb Mackes, Shawn Manning

o   Chapter Council Representative: Diana Delgado

o   Chapter Council Alternate: Antonio DeRosa

o   Nominee to the MLA Nominating Committee: Robb Mackes

Thank you for your confidence and enthusiasm to have me as Chair for the NY-NJ Chapter of MLA.   My predecessors have set the bar high and with your help and support, I hope to continue in their manner.  I am following Nancy  and am looking forward to working with Mahnaz.

Please contact me with any questions or concerns.  I encourage you to join committees and volunteer to plan activities.

Looking forward to working with you,

~racheline

Racheline G. Habousha, MSLS

Chair, NY-NJ MLA 2012-2013