[mla-nynj] Proposed Amendment to the NY-NJ MLA Chapter Bylaws

Joanne Jahr jbjahr at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 20 15:33:05 UTC 2010

Friends/Colleagues:

The MLA Board of Directors approved revisions that will allow chapters and
sections to vote electronically for amendments to their bylaws. Currently,
members of chapters and sections have to vote in person at annual meetings to do
so. If we vote 'yea' for the revision we will no longer have to wait for the
annual meetings to vote; we can vote electronically at any time so long as the
membership has been notified of any changes thirty (30) days prior to the
voting. This revision will also bring Article X in line with the other
previously revised sections of our bylaws that provide for electronic
communications (see: Article IV, Section I; Article V, Section 3, Part D,
<http://www.nynjmla.org/blog/bylaws/>)

Our 2010 Annual Meeting will be held at the Yonkers Riverfront Public Library on
October 6, at which time we will vote--in person--on this proposed change to our
bylaws.

Currently, Article X of the bylaws reads:

ARTICLE X.  AMENDMENT OF BYLAWS

These Bylaws may be amended at any meeting of the Chapter by a two-thirds vote
of members present, provided an announcement of the proposed amendment shall
have been distributed to all members at least thirty (30) days prior to the
meeting at which the vote shall be taken.

The revised text reads:

ARTICLE X. Amendment of Bylaws

These bylaws may be amended by a two-thirds vote, provided that the amendment
has been submitted in writing to the membership at least thirty (30) days prior
to the vote being taken. [Refer to the current edition of Robert's Rules of
Order.]

**** Note the deletion of "...of members present" in the revised text.

I look forward to seeing all of you at the meeting; have a good last-few-weeks
of summer.

Joanne Jahr, Chair
NY-NJ Chapter Bylaws Committee

American Journal of Nursing