[mla-nynj] SLA NY Chapter May meeting

Reich, Barbara BReich at humed.com
Wed May 6 19:49:19 UTC 2009

Forwarding per request - please see message below for contact info if
you have questions

Barbara S. Reich

Director, Medical Library

Hackensack University Medical Center

- - - - - - - - - -- - -

WHEN: Thursday, May 21, 2009 5:30 - 7:45 PM

Networking Reception: 5:30 - 6:30 PM

Presentation including Q&A: 6:30 - 7:45 PM

PROGRAM: New York Times prize-winning economics writer Louis Uchitelle
will discuss the current "Great Recession" in New York and beyond. He
will also share insights from his 2006 book "The Disposable American:

Layoffs and Their Consequences." The book will be available for sale
(ca. $15), and Mr. Uchitelle will be glad to sign copies. Please join us
for this interesting and insightful presentation on the most important
issue of today!

Louis Uchitelle has covered economics for The New York Times since 1987,
focusing on business issues, monetary and fiscal policy and labor
trends, particularly the unwinding of job security and the spread of
layoffs. He originated and served as lead reporter for a series of seven
stories published in March 1996 that explored the layoff phenomenon. The
series, "The Downsizing of America,'' won a Polk Award.

He also is the author of "The Disposable American: Layoffs and Their
Consequences,'' published by Knopf in 2006. He reported extensively on
the Federal Reserve during Alan Greenspan's early years as chairman and
produced, for The Times Magazine, the first detailed magazine profile of
Mr. Greenspan's performance.

In the early 1990s, he spent weeks in Russia and Ukraine reporting on
the former Soviet Union's plunge into capitalism. He was the only
journalist from a major American publication sent to concentrate on the
economic transformation then taking place.

Mr. Uchitelle was a visiting scholar at the Russell Sage Foundation in
New York in 2002-03 and taught journalism for many years at Columbia
University's School of General Studies. Before joining The Times, he
worked for The Associated Press as a reporter, an editor and a foreign
correspondent in Latin America. He and his wife, Joan Uchitelle, live in
Scarsdale, N.Y. They have two grown daughters.

WHERE: Skadden Arps, 4 Times Square at Broadway (between 42nd and 43rd
Street) 37th Floor. Enter on 42nd or 43rd St. side.

DIRECTIONS: Use any public transportation going into Times Square.

RSVP: To Vida Cohen at cohen.v at att.net by close of business Thursday,
May 14th. In honor of its Centennial and of the outstanding nature of
this program, SLA-NY is once again delighted to invite non-members,
including our colleagues from other organizations of information
professionals, to join us at no charge. Vida will confirm your RSVP, so
if you have not received an email response, please re-send your RSVP.

All attendees must be on the security list in advance.

NOTE: Please be sure to cancel in advance if you find you are unable to
attend this or any event for which you have RSVP'd in the affirmative.

We make this request because catering costs are based on the number of
RSVPs received. We look forward to continuing our Centennial Celebration
and hope you will attend our forthcoming events, which are listed at the
bottom of this announcement.

** Please email Vida by close of business on Friday, May 15th if you
have to cancel your RSVP.