[mla-nynj] Action Alert

Mahnaz Tehrani mtehrani at nyit.edu
Mon Sep 29 15:38:34 UTC 2008

Dear Members,

I just received this message from Mary Langman. Please take the
necessary steps to support the Act (S.2913).

Thanks,
Mahnaz Tehrani
PLEASE TAKE IMMEDIATE ACTION ON ORPHAN WORKS LEGISLATION

Attached is an Action Alert on S. 2913.  The Senate passed the bill
Friday night, and the House is expected to take action as early as
today.  Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mary
>   **ACTION ALERT*
> *

*Urge your legislator in the U.S. House of Representatives to pass the
/Shawn Bentley Orphan Works Act/ (S. 2913)!*
>    On the evening of Friday, September 26^th the Senate passed the
> /Shawn Bentley Orphan Works Act/ (S. 2913) by Unanimous Consent. As
> you may be aware, this important legislation would authorize the use
> of copyrighted works when the copyright owner cannot be located and
> establish a searchable dataset to help connect copyright owners with
> their materials. While Congress stayed in session over the weekend to
> tackle the financial crisis and handle other outstanding business, the
> House of Representative has not yet brought S. 2913 up for
> consideration. The House must pass the bill before it can be sent to
> the president and made law. Members of Congress are looking to adjourn
> for the year as soon as possible to hit the campaign trail, and if
> they do so with out passing S. 2913, the legislation will have to
> start the legislative process over next year.
>
> *Please contact your Representative's office in the immediate future
> and ask them to support bringing S. 2913 to the House Floor and
> passing the legislation. To locate their office phone number or
> constituent e-mail service, simply go to www.congress.org
> <http://www.congress.org> and enter your zip code.
> *
> Below are talking points to assist with your outreach:
>
> ·         My name is ________ and I live in _________.
>
> ·         I am contacting you today to urge the Congreswoman/man's
> support for bringing the /Shawn Bentley Orphan Works Act/ (S. 2913) to
> the House floor for passage.
>
> ·         This legislation would free the "orphaned works" (materials
> that have a copyright owner who cannot be located) in our libraries
> and special collections to ensure our historic and culturally
> significant works are made available to students, scholars, and the
> public in a responsible manner. It would also create a database for
> copyright owners to use to search for their orphan materials.
>
> ·         The Senate recently passed S. 2913 by Unanimous Consent and
> its House companion, H.R. 5889, has the support of Judiciary Committee
> chairman, John Conyers (D-MI), and the Intellectual Property
> Subcommittee ranking member, Howard Coble (R-NC).
>
> ·         Recognizing that there are few legislative days left, please
> do everything with in your power to see that S. 2913 is brought to the
> House floor for consideration.
>
> ·         I happy to address any concerns or answer any questions you
> may have {leave contact information}.

Mary M. Langman, Coordinator
Information Issues and Policy
Medical Library Association