[mla-nynj] NISO SeamlessAccess.org Outreach Committee – Two New educational Videos – 1) How Federated Authentication Works and 2) Privacy, Attributes, and Why They’re Important

Brewer, Michelle Michelle.Brewer at wolterskluwer.com
Fri Jun 19 21:39:09 UTC 2020

Apologies in advance for cross-posting.

New educational videos about the SeamlessAccess.org Service - We’re excited to announce the publication of the first in a series of videos designed to support learning and education

A key part of our mission is to improve understanding of the technologies that support our SeamlessAccess experience. To date, a significant proportion of our outreach activity has been in-person presentations at meetings and conferences. Given the current circumstances, and our desire to engage audiences that don’t have access to the same opportunities, we are developing a series of educational videos.

The first two video titles focus on addressing questions and concerns about federated authentication, the technology underlying the SeamlessAccess service. Both are designed to provide accessible overviews for a non-technical audience:

§  “How Federated Authentication” 5:52 min. www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjvC_PUj4CI<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjvC_PUj4CI> works provides a conceptual understanding of how this technology enables more seamless and privacy-preserving access, including definitions of key terms, such as Service Provider, Identity Provider, and Identity Federation.

§  “Privacy, Attributes, and Why They’re Important” 8:14 min. www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xRqdc0DeJI<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xRqdc0DeJI> builds on the previous video to describe the role that Attributes play in preserving user privacy, and the particular challenge that libraries face in configuring library access.

Future videos will address other core topics around the use of the SeamlessAccess service, as well as implementation guides covering the various user communities, such as libraries, technical departments, and publishers.

Over time, we will also expand the range of video features available, including subtitles in multiple languages to improve accessibility.

Our video series can also be found at the SeamlessAccess YouTube Channel. seamlessaccess.org/posts/2020-06-19-videos/<https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fseamlessaccess.org%2Fposts%2F2020-06-19-videos%2F&data=02%7C01%7Cmichelle.brewer%40wolterskluwer.com%7Cbf7ce4a38787441c133508d81476aaec%7C8ac76c91e7f141ffa89c3553b2da2c17%7C0%7C0%7C637281847265060885&sdata=XUa%2FxoyIQfmGiZWDGeHAfrG7fukGeM%2FnlDU21ZVbt1w%3D&reserved=0>

We welcome your input - please email us at contact at SeamlessAccess.org<mailto:contact at seamlessaccess.org> if you have feedback or suggestions for future videos.

Sincerely,

Michelle M. Volesko Brewer

Member, NISO SeamlessAccess Outreach Committee

Librarian/Manager Market Intelligence, Wolters Kluwer, LRP