[mla-nynj] Join us July 10: How Long Will We Wait? The Desegregation of American Hospitals

Carrie Levinson clevinson at nyam.org
Thu Jun 13 15:30:41 UTC 2019

Please join us at the New York Academy of Medicine on Wednesday, July 10th from 6pm-8pm for the next event in our Race and Health series, "How Long Will We Wait? The Desegregation of American Hospitals."
The event will begin with a screening of POWER TO HEAL, a documentary about the desegregation of American hospitals in the 1960s, followed by a discussion around desegregation efforts in New York City with a focus on Harlem Hospital. Our guest speakers will address the ways the legacy of segregation continues to impact American healthcare today, and will discuss forward-thinking strategies to ensure equitable practices.
Speakers: Barbara Berney, PhD, MPH, Producer and creator, POWER TO HEAL, Associate Professor in Health Policy and Management, CUNY School of Public Health; Adam Biggs, Faculty in African American Studies and History, University of South Carolina Lancaster
Moderator: Danielle Laraque-Arena, MD, FAAP, Scholar-in-Residence, The New York Academy of Medicine, Former President, SUNY Upstate Medical University
The event is free, but please register in advance here<https://www.nyam.org/events/event/how-long-will-we-wait/>.

We hope to see you there for what promises to be a thought-provoking and engaging evening!