[mla-nynj] Call for volunteers: NY NJ MLA Chapter Annual Meeting 2020 - Focus on Equity

Jewell, Sarah jewells at nychhc.org
Wed Dec 18 19:52:08 UTC 2019

Hi folks,

I'll be the Annual Meeting 2020 Chair and I'd like to put out a call for volunteers. We already have a few folks with meeting planning experience on the committee, but I'm hoping to get some additional folks interested in helping out.

This call is to help plan the Annual Chapter Meeting in Fall 2020, and the proposed theme is:
The Round Table: Equity in Service and Leadership
(It's referencing how King Arthur made his meeting table round so no one would be at the head of it, striving towards equity)
The theme is about serving people of all kinds, making sure minority voices are heard, and also recognizing diverse leaders.
The theme is definitely open to changing/tweaking! We want your involvement and input.

Please email me at jewells at nychhc.org<mailto:jewells at nychhc.org> with a sentence or two about a positive encounter where you either promoted diversity/equity, or had your knowledge of diverse others expanded- it could be a professional or personal experience. I'll gather some interested names and we will meet online in January.

I'll start: At my current position, I was pleased to make a change in policy where there was no longer stratified document delivery service for individuals at the hospital-all employees can receive print medical journal articles scanned for free upon request (in the past, we scanned for attendings, but not for medical residents or nurses). The decision was made as we knew we could handle the number of requests (the majority of requests for articles are electronic now), and also to promote interdisciplinary teamwork, and move away from hierarchical systems of power.

Also, Happy Holidays to all!

Thanks,

Sarah T. Jewell, MLIS
Pronouns: she/her/hers
Department Supervising Librarian
(718) 579-4896
jewells at nychhc.org<mailto:jewells at nychhc.org>

NYC Health + Hospitals

Lincoln Medical and Mental Health Center
Medical Library
234 East 149th Street, Rm 2D4
Bronx, New York 10451
[cid:image001.png at 01D5B5AF.F8CDAA70]

Visit www.nychealthandhospitals.org <http://nychealthandhospitals.org>

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The information in this E-Mail may be confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on this e-mail, is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this E-Mail message in error, notify the sender by reply E-Mail and delete the message.