[mla-nynj] New Chair Greetings & Chapter conference- what you may have missed

Diana Delgado did2005 at med.cornell.edu
Mon Oct 30 13:42:45 UTC 2017

Greetings, NY-NJ Chapter Members!

I am so excited to be taking on this new role as chapter chair. As a member of the chapter for 14 years, I  have had the pleasure of working with many of you, whether co-teaching, participating on boards/committees, co-authoring abstracts, articles and book chapters, conference planning,  or even just socializing. I know first-hand what dedicated and knowledgeable members we have and I am honored to be chosen to lead the chapter. I am looking forward to a fruitful year.

On Thursday, October 17th, we had our 2017 chapter meeting - New Roles, New Era in Health Sciences Librarianship.   Forty-three registered members -about 25% of our membership - attended. The Meeting Committee did a fabulous job by arranging speakers, vendors, food, and a venue on the gorgeous Rutgers campus in New Brunswick. Many thanks to Marie Elias, Helen-Ann Epstein, Mina Ghajar, Sarah Jewell, Claire Joseph, Jennifer Kaari, Stella Sigal, Jeanne Strausman, and Yingting Zhang for their hard work.

For those who could not attend, the day was packed with interesting presentations. Our keynote speaker, Jerry Sheehan, shared his background and the perspectives he brings to his new role as NLM deputy director and gave his thoughts about changes at NLM. He also led a discussion about future medical librarian roles. Kate Flewelling, executive director of NN/LM MAR, gave an extensive update and introduced us to a number of valuable resources. Beverly Murphy, MLA president-elect, in addition to giving an MLA update, got us dancing to Pharrell's "Happy"!

There was also a panel discussion on New Roles in Medical Librarianship, led by:

*        Alisa Surkis, Head, Data Services/Translational Science Librarian, New York University
*        Elisabeth Marrapodi, Library Director, Trinitas Medical Center
*        Micki McIntyre, Information Management Librarian, Rowan University
*        Sarah Jewell, Information & Education Librarian, Rutgers University
*        Shelly Warwick, Associate Professor & Director of Library and Information Services, Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine

All of the speakers/presenters shared a wealth of valuable resources. Some highlights:

NLM Products and Services
https://eresources.nlm.nih.gov/nlm_eresources/
A comprehensive list of over 293 resources.

PubMed Labs | NCBI Insights
ncbiinsights.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

A gathering place to discover and experiment with new features and content for NCBI's family of websites.

NNLM RD3: Resources for Data-Driven Discovery
https://nnlm.gov/data
Intended for librarians and individuals interested in how research and academic organizations generate, share, store and/or use data for scientific research, with an emphasis on research in the health, biological, and physical sciences. This website provides tools and information that will help information professionals effectively participate in networked science by collocating resources on education, outreach, and collaboration, as well as current practices and data science news.

Clinical eCompanion

http://ecompanion.pitt.edu/

Developed by librarians at the University of Pittsburgh Health Sciences Library System, with funding from the National Network of Libraries of Medicine, Middle Atlantic Region. The project development team conducted research to explore the feasibility, usability and validity of the point-of-care information tool for use by primary care providers in answering real-time clinical questions. Participants found Clinical eCompanion to be current, relevant and complete.
<http://ecompanion.pitt.edu/>

The day ended with a brief business meeting. Our future merger with the Philadelphia Chapter was discussed. A steering committee will be formed by November 30th, 2017, to come up with recommendations and process for the merger. During the business meeting, Robin Wright announced three awards to four awardees:

Outstanding Contribution by a New Member(s)

Mina Ghajar - Rutgers University - George F. Smith Library of the Health Sciences - Newark

Jennifer Kaari - Mount Sinai West Medical Library

Outstanding Contribution by a Member

Yingting Zhang - Rutgers University - Robert Wood Johnson Library of the Health Sciences - New Brunswick

Lifetime Achievement Award

Neil Rambo - NYU Health Sciences Library

Chapter Research Grant
As nobody applied for this year's Chapter Research Grant, no grant was awarded.

The election results were also announced:

Chair Elect

Chris Duffy

Executive Board Members (2017-2019)

Arpita Bose

Judy Stribling

Nominating Committee (2017-2019)

Timothy Roberts

Konstantina Matsoukas

Eleanor Silverman

Nominee to the MLA Nominating Committee (2018-2019)

Carlita Anglin

I hope this gives you a taste of all the activities that occurred. For those lucky enough to attend, please feel free to add anything I may have missed.

We have a very busy year ahead of us with many exciting opportunities: new CEs, spring dinner, the 2018 chapter conference, the chapter merger, and so much more. I hope you will join us on the journey!

Best,

Diana

Diana Delgado, MLS, AHIP
Associate Director, Information, Education and Clinical Services
Weill Cornell Medicine
Samuel J. Wood Library & C.V. Starr Biomedical Information Center
1300 York Avenue Room C-115
New York, NY 10065-4896
(P)646-962-2550
(F)212-746-6494