[mla-nynj] Additional Ebola-Related Info

Harvey, Missy mjharvey at pitt.edu
Wed Oct 22 19:40:14 UTC 2014

Contents

Webinar: Ebola Preparedness for Healthcare Coalitions

>From CDC:  Tightened Guidance for U.S. Healthcare Workers on Personal Protective Equipment for Ebola

Webinar: The Ebola Crisis: What it Means for West African and the World

NLM Launches Web Collecting Initiative to Capture and Preserve Selected Ebola-Related Content

Disaster Distress Hotline

Webinar: Ebola Preparedness for Healthcare Coalitions
Please join the Office of the Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response (ASPR) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) for a webinar for healthcare coalitions on Ebola preparedness. Please share this invite widely with your members.
Thursday, October 23, 2014
3:30 to 4:30 pm EDT
***Updated information on accessing this webinar is available at http://www.phe.gov/Preparedness/responders/ebola/Pages/coalitions-call.aspx.<http://www.phe.gov/Preparedness/responders/ebola/Pages/coalitions-call.aspx>
The purpose of this webinar will be to review a Checklist for Healthcare Coalitions for Ebola Preparedness <http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/pdf/coalition-checklist-ebola-preparedness.pdf>  developed by ASPR and CDC to highlight activities that all healthcare coalitions can take to prepare for the possibility of a patient exposed to Ebola arriving for medical care. The checklist provides practical and specific suggestions to ensure healthcare coalition members are able to detect possible Ebola cases, protect employees, and respond appropriately.
In addition, this webinar will provide an education training session for healthcare coalitions related to some of the key issues currently facing U.S. hospitals. Topics to be addressed include lessons learned from Dallas, an overview of updated personal protective equipment (PPE) recommendations, PPE considerations (including proper putting on, removal, and disposal of PPE), and considerations for managing staffing concerns.
An Inquiry Form<http://www.phe.gov/Preparedness/responders/ebola/Pages/coalitions-call.aspx> has been developed for the purpose of obtaining questions that you would like us to address during this webinar. Please note that we will not be able to address all received questions during the webinar.
Please note that a video will be made available and placed at http://www.phe.gov/Preparedness/responders/ebola/Pages/coalitions-call.aspx for your reference.
****In an effort to maximize availability of call-in lines, please consider joining this webinar with multiple colleagues on one line.

>From CDC:  Tightened Guidance for U.S. Healthcare Workers on Personal Protective Equipment for Ebola

http://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2014/fs1020-ebola-personal-protective-equipment.html

Webinar: The Ebola Crisis: What it Means for West African and the World
Columbia University National Center for Disaster Preparedness
Monday, October 27th 1:00 - 5:00pm ET
This multi-disciplinary dialogue will focus on how best to curb the epidemic, understand its impacts, particularly in terms of bioethical and sustainability implications, and mitigate future high-fatality events.
http://ncdp.columbia.edu/microsite-page/ebola-in-perspective/ebola-conference-2014/

NLM Launches Web Collecting Initiative to Capture and Preserve Selected Ebola-Related Content
The National Library of Medicine (NLM) has launched a Web collecting initiative to capture and preserve selected born-digital content documenting the 2014 Ebola outbreak. Initiated on October 1, 2014, selected content related to the current Ebola outbreak includes Web sites and social media from government and non-government organizations, journalists, healthcare workers, and scientists in the United States and around the world, with an aim to collect and preserve a diversity of perspectives on this unfolding health crisis.
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/news/nlm_web_collecting_ebola_resources.html

Disaster Distress Hotline
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration provides access to the Disaster Distress Hotline 24/7, year round for crisis counseling and support. Stress, anxiety, and other depression-like symptoms are common reactions after any natural or human-caused disaster, and Ebola is no exception. If you are feeling overwhelmed due to this outbreak, call 1-800-985-5990 for assistance, which is available to anyone affected by the outbreak, including health workers and other responders.
http://disasterdistress.samhsa.gov/
Sent to you by....

Renae Barger
Michelle Burda