[mla-nynj] Marie Ascher is named the Lillian Hetrick Huber Endowed Director of the Health Sciences Library of New York Medical College: Nov 1!

Diana Cunningham dcunningham757 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 15:45:52 UTC 2014

Marie Ascher, M.S., is Named the Lillian Hetrick Huber Endowed
Director of the Health Sciences Library

 Marie Ascher, M.S., will assume the role of the Lillian Hetrick Huber
Endowed Director of the Health Sciences Library upon the retirement of
Diana Cunningham, M.L.S., M.P.H. ’00, associate dean and the current
Lillian Hetrick Huber Endowed Director of the Health Sciences Library,
at the end of October. Ms. Ascher is currently associate director of
user support, education and research services in the Health Sciences
Library.
Ms. Ascher joined the College in 2001 as head of information services
and was promoted to associate director responsible for the library’s
reference, outreach, and instructional programs. During her tenure at
NYMC she revamped the library’s liaison program, bringing many new
opportunities to collaborate with academic departments and fostered
new digital means of providing and measuring reference service. She is
an experienced grant writer and was very engaged in the strategic
planning for the library. Ms. Ascher has been heavily involved in the
development and usability testing of the library’s web site. She
created and administers the library’s blog and LibGuides as well as
established the library’s social media presence.
“I believe in fostering an atmosphere of open creativity and
innovation in the library. I am an advocate for the needs of the
library’s constituents and I have fostered many valuable relationships
at New York Medical College and its affiliates through educational
outreach and quality and friendly service,” said Ms. Ascher. “I am
looking forward to continuing my commitment to the library and the
university in my new position.”
Ms. Ascher maintains membership in many professional associations and
is the recipient of the 2013 Katy Nesbit Award for Exemplary Service
to the Upstate New York and Ontario Chapter of the Medical Library
Association and an Association of Academic Health Sciences Libraries
Leadership Scholarship that supported her participation in the
Leadership Institute for Academic Librarians of the Harvard Graduate
School of Education this past summer. She is also a distinguished
member of the Academy of Health Information Professionals Medical
Library Association. She is currently facilitating an international
project involving more than 200 librarians conducting systematic
reviews in 15 crucial areas of health sciences librarianship.
Ms. Ascher received a B.A. in art history and sociology from
Livingston College, Rutgers University and M.S. in library and
information studies from the College of Information Studies, Drexel
University. She is currently pursuing an M.P.H. degree at Hunter
College.