[mla-nynj] Remembering Reg Smith

Judy Cohn cohn at umdnj.edu
Fri Nov 12 18:20:28 UTC 2010

Apologies for duplication

Remembering Reginald Smith

We're saddened to let you know of the passing of Reginald ("Reg") Smith on
October 28th. Reg served as Associate Director of the University of Medicine
and Dentistry of New Jersey - George F. Smith Library of Health Sciences for
twenty years, retiring in 1988.

Dubbed "The Answer Man" because of his uncanny ability to answer far-ranging
and difficult reference questions, Reg established a wide network of friends
and colleagues while at UMDNJ. Because of his wealth of experience, thorough
knowledge of the biomedical field, and his innovative teaching ability,
Reg's talents were well known and deeply appreciated.

Phil Rosenstein stated at Reg's retirement celebration: "A list of those he
has helped would be endless: thousands of students, many hundreds of
faculty, and countless visitors to the University made use of this Library
through Reginald Smith."

As the creator and first instructor of the Medical Bibliography course
offered by Rutgers University Graduate School of Library Service in 1973,
Reg inspired many of us in New Jersey to develop our careers as health
sciences librarians. As the catalog at the time read:  "The course objective
will be to develop in librarians an awareness of the scope, development, and
context of medical bibliography as relates to the past, present and future
of health sciences libraries." The course today bears a different title, but
its description still holds true.

Following Reg's retirement from the UMDNJ Library, he devoted himself to
God's Love We Deliver, where he served as a dedicated volunteer and Board
member, delivering over 70,000 meals to clients in Brooklyn for over twenty
years.

A memorial service is planned to honor Reg on Saturday, December 4th from
3:00-4:30 PM at God's Love We Deliver located at 166 Avenue of the Americas
(on the corner of Spring Street & Avenue of the Americas).  Please RSVP to
Alissa Wassung at GLWD if you plan to attend (email: awassung at glwd.org).

A beautiful tribute to Reg appears on their Web site at
https://www.glwd.org/community/story.jsp

Donations in memory of Reg Smith may be made to God's Love We Deliver.

Judy Cohn on behalf of the staff of the UMDNJ-George F. Smith Library

--

Judith S. Cohn

Assoc VP for Scholarly Info/

University Librarian

UMDNJ-University Libraries

Newark, NJ 07101-1709

Email: cohn at umdnj.edu

Voice: 973-972-4353

Fax: 973-972-7474

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email communication may contain private,
confidential, or legally privileged information intended for the sole use of
the designated and/or duly authorized recipient(s). If you are not the
intended recipient or have received this email in error, please notify the
sender immediately by email and permanently delete all copies of this email
including all attachments without reading them. If you are the intended
recipient, secure the contents in a manner that conforms to all applicable
state and/or federal requirements related to privacy and confidentiality of
such information.